Thursday, 20 December 2012

Hare Compare

I've just posted this image on my Facebook 'fan page' (a horrible term!) and I thought I'd put it on here as well so I could compare viewing figures. I fear the blog may have had its day!


Update:

So half a day later the results are:

Facebook: 161 views with 32 people "talking about this" (a Facebook term for people who liked, shared or commented on the image)

Blog: 8 views!

Up until earlier this year the 'viewing figures' on this blog had steadily increased to a point where it was averaging between 2500 and 3000 hits a month, whilst not massive numbers it was heading in the right way. It's hovered at this point for quite a while and then a few months ago it slowly started to drop, with the current monthly figure being 1700.


Now it could be I've suddenly become a crap photographer and I'm scaring people away! But for the sake of my ego I refuse to believe this :-)
I think it's down to the rise in Facebook as a promotional tool for photographers and now 'viewers' can follow all their favourite photographers and have all their new work delivered to them direct to their homepage, which is much more preferable to having to jump from site to site just to see if any new contents been added. Blogs get forgotten.

I've only been doing the 'fan page' for a couple of weeks and numbers are already encouraging with most images getting 200 plus views, occasionally passing the 500 mark. And at the end of the day, for the jobbing photographer, it's all about exposure.

So is this blog no more. Well...probably not. I'm thinking about just uploading tutorial content from now on, Photoshop tips and stuff. These sort of posts have greater longevity as they are constantly visited due to google searches.

I'll update the viewing figures tomorrow (just in case any of the eight of you are interested!)

Update 22/12:

Facebook: 196
Blogger: 31




12 comments:


  1. I think you may be right, Simon. A friend of mine posted one of my Short-eared Owl shots on Twitter and it received a 119 views in a matter of hours, the same shot on the blog has only been viewed 15 times in the last week.

    I'm not on Facebook or Twitter but I'm seriously
    thinking about it.

    As ever, another super Hare shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy.

      I think it's the way forward. I much prefer the individuality of the blog but it's all about having an audience, which Facebook delivers. Shame, really.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. The other thing is that images on blogger look terrible in comparison to flickr and no doubt, others such as facebook. My images are so much better on other mediums. I have noticed with your images on this blog that the image is so much better when the time is taken to click on the image for a larger view, which most viewers will not know to do. So, the result is that most viewers will see and image that looks much softer than the image that was uploaded. Annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christian

      Facebook is notorious for ruining images as well!
      I agree that bloggers resized thumbnails look iffy, that's why I always have a banner saying 'click on image for larger' (he says, on a post where he hasn't bothered!)

      Simon

      Delete
  3. Also it was announced this week that Facebook and Instagram can sell YOUR images - may or may not be an issue and I am not sure I fully understand what they are now doing that they weren't before...sorry to be so vague. Great hare by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peter

    Facebook can only use your images within the Facebook structure, such as sharing and liking, all in accordance with your privacy settings. The uploader always retains copyright. And I think Instagram have now gone back on their announced policy change - a PR cock-up if ever there was!!

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Simon, I've been umming and arring about Facebook for some time now. It certainly seems to provide larger viewing numbers, but I'm cautious - there's many an article about Facebook's intellectual property rights T & C's on the web. This being an example: http://www.photoguides.net/facebook-and-photographers-do-you-know-your-rights

    However, I've been called a Luddite in the past!

    Does more views mean more sales?

    All the best, and Merry Christmas!

    Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn

      There's been a lot of scaremongering about Facebook stealing peoples photos, mainly fuelled by internet conspiracy theorists!

      When you upload an image to Facebook you retain sole copyright at all times. You do however allow Facebook to use the images within the Facebook parameters ie if someone "likes" an image, or "shares" an image than Facebook can insert it in their timeline. If you download a third-party Facebook app that is based around sharing, promoting or exhibiting your work (there's a lot of Photo Contest apps) then Facebook will let these apps use your images, again within the Facebook parameters. Facebooks settings lets you decide how your images are used though so if you don't want people to "share" them then you don't have to.

      At the end of the day, they are only 900px wide images that are too small to do much with - they're not going to be appearing on any billboards! They are only good enough to be used on the web and the images on my website/blog/500px/Flikr/forum sites are just as likely to be stolen and used elsewhere as on Facebook.

      Here's a snippet from the Guardian the other day about intellectual property rights:

      Facebook: You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings. The t&c's also state: "We do not give your content or information to advertisers without your consent."

      However, when you use Facebook you give it the right to use information "in connection with the services and features we provide to you and other users like your friends, our partners, the advertisers that purchase ads on the site, and the developers that build the games, applications, and websites you use".

      Hope that puts you at ease. Now get on Facebook and "LIKE" my page :-)

      Oh, and more views doesn't necessarily mean more sales but it does mean more chances of sales! You've got to be in it to win it!!!

      Best wishes and Merry Christmas!

      Simon

      Delete
  6. keep on blogging i don't do face book

    I look forward to the new year pics

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers Mike

    I'll keep the blog ticking-over next year but probably not to the degree I have in previous years.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Simon, thanks for the reply. It's the 'sub-license to third parties' bit that worries me, but a bit more reading suggests they are probably just trying to cover themselves. Google +1 seems to be exactly the same.

    I'll have to think about it a bit more, but if I do go for it and 'LIKE' your page, you have to 'LIKE' my page back!!! :-D

    Happy New Year!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete